We place most of our focus on the external when it comes to our skin. The truth is, there is so much more to our skin then what lies on the surface. My intention is that after you read this post, you take a minute to give yourself a huge hug and pause for a moment of deep gratitude for your sweet skin.
It is so easy for us to pick ourselves apart, especially when it comes to our physical bodies. I have heard it all in my Esthetician practice over the years, listening to men and women apologize for their ‘flaws’ while critiquing every inch of their sweet faces and bodies. And yes, I am guilty of doing this to myself too. I had severe cystic adult acne and spent nearly an entire full year of my adult life without my two front teeth (this wasn’t too long ago) while undergoing dental implant surgery to fix a childhood injury. Sometimes I have to remind myself; I can smile now without being self-conscious.
Our journey through life will take us many places, and through many stages, but the one thing that will be there to carry you through it all is your skin. Your skin is your bodies largest organ and equates for about 15% of your total body weight. Even when you are resting, your skin is working hard to take care of you- it never truly stops. Did you know that your skin:
- is your first line of defense against bacteria, bugs, allergens, toxins
- helps protect us from UV radiation by producing melanin
- helps protect your muscles, bones and internal organs from outside infection and disease
- is constantly shedding dead skin cells (30,000 to 40,000 cells every minute) and renews itself roughly every 28 days
- sends instant signals to the brain if you are hurt or injured
- instantly begins to work to heal wounds, and even produces a new (scar) tissue to quickly repair and protect
- helps with the production of vitamin D
- works to protect us by creating thickness and toughness (like a callous) in areas where there is excess friction or pressure
- is your body's thermostat, constantly regulating your body's temperature to keep you comfortable
Pretty impressive, right? So the next time you find yourself gazing at your reflection, washing your body and face, applying your serums etc, keep these things in mind. And each time that you touch your sweet skin, do so with tenderness, gratitude, and love. You are precious- precisely as you are, in your skin.